Paramedics wheel Navalny into an ambulance in Germany. (Source:

Attempted Poisoning of Alexei Navalny Causes Diplomatic Repercussions for Russia

Anirudh Bhat

After spending nearly thirty-two days under medical supervision, Alexay Navalny, the most prominent figure of the Opposition and anti-corruption activist, who was allegedly poisoned by a suspected nerve agent, was released from Charité Hospital in Berlin. Navalny’s discharge comes in the face souring relations with many countries for Russia — European leaders have collectively called for Russia to examine and clarify the utilisation of a banned chemical agent on it's soil.

United Kingdom’s Prime Minister Boris Johnson immediately criticised the incident as an ‘outrageous’ act and requested clarification from Moscow.


The French minister for Foreign Affairs Jean-Yves Le Drian commented in an interview with France Inter radio, that it was "fundamental and essential for the Russian authorities to set up immediately the conditions wherein the utilisation of a nerve agent against Mr. Navalny was even conceivable."

Krishna Mani Rao R.

Venezuela minister of Foreign Affairs Jorge Arreaza holds a picture while speaking during the United Nations Security Council meeting about the situation in Venezuela. (Source: Reuters)

President Nicolas Maduro and his government committed 'crimes against humanity' which include torture and killings, according to a report by investigators of the United Nations (UN). This fact-finding mission by the UN Human Rights Council (UNHCR) claimed the crimes that were documented were allegedly supported or done by Maduro and his interior and defense ministers with the motive to silence the opposition. 


The report was based on more than 270 interviews with witnesses, victims, officials and lawyers and references to multiple documents. The report and the panel suggested that multiple officers from the military, police and the intelligence agencies like FAES, PNB had committed extrajudicial killings.


Adithi Mohan

The draped coffin of late Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg reached the Supreme Court on Wednesday. The coffin laid in state as thousands of members of the public paid their last respect to the stalwart and champion of women’s rights. Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Former Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States, passed away at the age of 87, at her home in Washington DC due to complications of metastatic pancreatic cancer.

US Supreme Court Justice dies at age 87 (Source: Reuters)

A top graduate from Columbia and Harvard Law School, Ginsburg, being a woman and a mother of two had to overcome numerous obstacles in every step of her career, during which she went on to shape and mold the future of women in the USA for generations to come. Ginsburg’s first employment was that of a professor in Rutgers Law School, where she faced discrimination in her pay. At the start of her career in law as well, she faced rejection for a position of clerkship due to her gender.

Covaxin to be Available by Early 2021

Parthiva Mewawala

A leading doctor at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, told The Times of India that the Indian made a vaccine for the Coronavirus, Covaxin, which is currently in the second phase of testing, will most likely be cleared for public use in the early months of 2021. 


In Phase One of the Covaxin trials, 375 participants were chosen for the study from 12 locations. Of the 375 participants, 100 healthy volunteers from the mix were shortlisted for the human trials that started on July 20. As part of the study, their blood samples were monitored for any side effects. 

The vaccine, indigenously developed by Hyderabad-based Bharat Biotech, successfully completed Phase One of clinical trials.

TikTok Lives to See Another Day in the USA

Parthiva Mewawala

American President Donald Trump has given his 'blessing' to a deal between Oracle and ByteDance owned video-sharing app TikTok. This prompted the US Department of Commerce to give TikTok a one week reprieve from getting banned in the country. 


The proposed deal between Oracle and ByteDance involves setting up a new company called ‘TikTok Global’, 20 per cent of which will be held cumulatively by Walmart and Oracle. The remaining 80 per cent will be owned by ByteDance.

It's being said that the new company will be headquartered in America and will add 25,000 new jobs to the economy. The fine details of the deal have not been clarified by either company yet.

Trump averts TikTok ban in US with his ‘blessing’ (Source : Reuters)

According to sources, Oracle will become a 'trusted tech partner' and will host all the US user data on its own servers. ByteDance maintained its claim that the deal doesn't involve any transfer of algorithms to TikTok Global.

The Trump administration had been targeting TikTok's US operations over security concerns since July.

Think we can do better? Write to us.

Contact Us